This Piper was originally sold to W. C. Wheatley of Clayton, New Mexico on December 9, 1946 for $3295.00. On February 4, 1947 it was sold to Southern Air Service of Memphis Tennessee. Southern Air Service was owned by Mrs. Louise Campbell Kent, Cy Shobe, and C. W. Wood. In February of 1947, it was flipped over, resulting in major repairs to both wings and required the replacement of several ribs.
On October 17, 1947 it was sold to Waterways Aircraft Company of Vicksburg Mississippi. Harry E. Shumaker (Ed) had been maintaining this Piper since it moved to Vicksburg. On December 28, 1948 it was sold to Joseph J. Richie of Vicksburg Mississippi.
On September 1, 1950 it became part of the Shumaker Family when Robert Shumaker purchased it with some financial assistance from his sister Catherine. During March 1952, Ed recovered it for the first time, using Grade A fabric, five coats of clear nitrate dope, and five coats of silver dope. He also repaired some bent diagonals in the fuselage and put in a new windshield.
While Robert was in the Navy, Ed looked after the PA-12 and moved it to Marianna, Florida in 1953, eventually becoming the owner on June 23, 1959. While it was in storage in Ed's hangar on the Old Starr Road in the late 60s, it survived the hangar being blown over. Ed recovered it again in March 1963. Dan soloed in it on June 19, 1963. S & S Air Service used it for flight instruction and fire patrol for several years. On fire patrol some days it would fly eight hours per day.
After a long and hard working stay with S & S Air Service, this Piper became the property of Byron and Dan Shumaker. On June 1, 1986, Dan became the owner. Restoration and modifications were completed in 2010.